Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Thomas

Well, I did finally make it back to Ohio...but it was a LONG journey.  Here is a quick overview of my "traveling trauma" but I made it out alive.  

Sat. Dec. 18
I was planning to go to bed between 9-10pm so that I could get up for my EARLY morning flight...but at 9pm, I found out my flight from Basel, Switzerland, to London was CANCELED.   STRESS!  I tried to get another flight...but that did not work...so at midnight I went bed so I could get up at 4am.


Sun. Dec. 19.  
I was up at 4 and by 5am I was at the airport with Taylor (my co-RA) as we both tried to get flights.  I got one for Dec. 20th through Brussels, Belgium and she got one from Zurich, Switzerland through JFK in New York.  Yeah we got flights!!!  That was good.


Mon. Dec. 20
-I was up at 3:30 am and to the airport with 2 other stranded travelers from BFA by 4:45am.  My flight from Basel to Brussels was uneventful.  
-I had a great time in Brussels until I went to my gate to fly to Chicago and they kept delaying my flight.  At first it was 20 min, then 40, then a hour....eventually 3 hours later they fixed the plane and we could go.
-The flight was a normal long tans-Atlantic flight.  But being 3 hours late meant I missed my flight to Toledo.  After I arrived in Chicago, I got to stand in the customs line for a hour and a half!!!  Then I got my bags and I got the LAST flight to Toledo.  I arrived at my gate around 6pm and there was no snow outside.  As I waited we got between 3-4 inches of snow.  My plane came and they loaded us!!! And we finally took off around 8:30pm.  And this is where I met THOMAS (more in a moment).  I arrived in Toledo at 10pm and my Mom and brother Steve picked me up!  I was in my parents house by midnight!


Okay...THOMAS.  He was my seat buddy and we chatted it up on the flight.  I am usually a quiet reader during flights, but it was Thomas' first time to fly and he was NERVOUS.  Thomas is in his 40s, from Georgia, and he was flying to have Christmas with his son.  So we started talking about his life and his family and he asked why I wasn't nervous, and I told him I fly a lot.  He didn't believe me, but when he found out that I live in Germany he was interested.  He asked how I got to Germany and I eventually told him my testimony and how the Lord lead me to Germany.  He thought that was cool and we started talking about God.  He knows who Jesus Christ is, but I don't know if he has a personally relationship with God.  His dad is very legalistic in his faith.  We talked about who Christ is and I challenged him to get involved in a Bible believing church and have good men around him to walk with him through life.


Thomas then told him a friend bought him the tickets for him to go see his son for Christmas because God told her too.  Then he told me he thought that God wanted him to talk to me.  The whole time I was talking to Thomas, I was praying that God would give me the right words.  Please pray with me that Thomas would have a genuine relationship with Jesus Christ. 

2 comments:

CB said...

Bonnie!!! I LOVE this story...very convicting...I never talk to my neighbors while flying. Thanks for sharing this with us!
oh, and love ya!!!

Tracy said...

That is so cool. We had kind of a similare thing happen to us. Waiting stand-by for two days to get a flight alan finally prayed. "Lord, just get us on the next flight and USE me" and He did! Alan spoke to the guy next to him the entire flight and he came to our church in California a few times and to a couple events. I don't know where is heart is, but it was clear the Lord was at work!!! SO neat! God is SOOOO good!