Monday, November 23, 2009

Adelboden: Palmgarten Retreat!

The dorm staff took our 19 Palm girls to Adelboden, Switzerland to have a little retreat. We packed for snow and yes I even brought my snow shoes...and as you can see...NO SNOW!! As you can see the hills are pretty steep here. Well to get to this quaint little town we had to drive in the night 2 hours and 15 minutes. My stick shift van was loaded down with 8 girls and most of the food. I was following Stephine in her van (she had the GPS) up this tiny little windy road and because the hills were so steep and I had to drive so slowly my van began to stall out. Then it wouldn't start going up hill and would only go downhill. At this point we were totally lost. So I put on the parking brake and ran to talk to Stephanie in her van. It was at this point that the van began to roll backward. Needless to say the girls began screaming in fear. WE all avoided death when I got back into the van. At this point, I was in a sticky situation...then with the parking break on and my foot on the brake we began to roll BACKWARDS! This is NOT good! We were rolling down the hill and yes, I did get a bit off the road and ran over a small road marker...but I was able to back up into a tiny driveway. God took care of us...but boy did that car smell of burnt rubber and I am pretty sure that I won't be the maintenance guys favorite person...but we LIVED!
When I woke up after that scary night I had this view out of my window.

The girls enjoying relaxing and making cards for each other.
Here "H", "J", and "E" enjoy a quiet breakfast with a view.
Later in the morning we set off for a little hike. Here are some fans of the Alps!
This is the Janz Chalet that we stayed at. It was the perfect place to relax at.
The girls admire the Alps before we set off to explore the village.
My hiking buddies: "S", "J", "E", "R", and "J". How cute are they!
Bonnie...the happy Swiss girl in the Swiss Alps.
Here "E" and "J" are actually standing on the road! What an incline!
What a view!
Walking down the road....can you imagine passing another car on this thing! Yikes!
Here is a typical Swiss house. If you look closely at the center of the house you will see that it was built in 1771! It is just a few years old!
The Alps in the morning...what a beautiful thing!
The peaks tower above the clouds.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

WOW. that is crazy beautiful!